Monday, January 21, 2013

Thermometers and Pit Temperature Control Devices


If you haven't already, take a look at Meathead's Thermometer Buying Guide.  Amazingribs.com is an incredible resource.  Meathead puts a lot of time into researching things so you don't have to.

For thermometers, I was thrilled to receive a limited edition Flame Thermapen for Christmas.  I also have a Super Fast RT600, also from Thermoworks that works great and is an excellent value.  Both rated Gold in Meathead's article, and I wholeheartedly agree.  He also recommends the Maverick ET-732, which is a dual probe that can monitor both chamber temperature and meat temperature and features a wireless unit you can keep in your pocket or on a table.  I use the Maverick ET-73, which is the previous model.  It's great for monitoring pit temperature, but the meat probe is big, so I only use it on large cuts like brisket or pork.

In the same article, Meathead also discusses pit temperature control devices, and gives a Gold rating to the BBQ Guru's Party Q.  I don't own one of these yet, but it's on my list.  I personally like that the Party Q runs on batteries, so you don't have to have access to power to use it.  One less thing to worry about at a competition.  Just make sure to keep the batteries fresh.

What are you readers using for checking temperatures?  Do you use a pit temperature control device?


No comments:

Post a Comment